· Unfortunately, natural products like vinegar or tea tree oil don’t kill coronaviruses. Recipes for these are all over the internet. Fortunately, some other common disinfectants do work.
· Diluted bleach solution (4 teaspoons of bleach in a quart of water) works well but needs to be used the day that it is mixed. Solutions that are too concentrated can cause breathing issues for asthmatics so diluted solutions are best. Never use near ammonia-based cleaners (glass and window cleaner). Bleach can affect fabrics so be careful.
· Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or wipes with 70% alcohol or higher. Ethyl alcohol can be used but needs to be 140 proof or higher. Standard (80 proof) vodka and other liquors lack the proper concentration.
· Alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol will kill COVID 19. You can make your own with rubbing alcohol or ethyl alcohol (Everclear is an example) in a 2 to 1 ratio with aloe vera gel. Tea tree oil, lavender oil, or lemon juice can make it smell nice.
· Soap and water will kill COVID19, but you need to wash hands for at least 20 seconds.
· Household strength hydrogen peroxide kills COVID19. It can be sprayed on to surfaces but needs to sit for 1 minute to be effective. It does not need to be washed off at all, as it decomposes to oxygen and water. It can stain fabrics so be careful.